The experts at Golden River Sportstout fly fishingas the most renowned method for catching trout and salmon. And although Golden’s Clear Creek is in short supply of salmon (read: “there are no salmon”), the “Golden Mile” that begins in town and extends up Clear Creek Canyon is home to brook, cutthroat, brown and rainbow trout, which make it perfect for the sport.
Offering 20 miles of access, this section of water fishes well throughout each season. Clear Creek Canyon boasts everything from pools for risers to runs for nyphing. Plus, there are a variety of pull-offs on public land, including two new parking lots, so it’s fairly easy to access.
We sat down with Kyle from Golden River Sports to get a few more pointers on getting the most from your day fishing Clear Creek Canyon. Here’s what he had to say:
- Golden River Sports does half and full day guide trips from the shop. Beginners should schedule at least a half day out with these seasoned guides who will teach them to read the water, tie knots, cast and more.
- Three- or four-weight rods are perfect for Clear Creek as most of the fish are seven to eight inches long.
- Size 16 caddis flies are doing really well right now along with hoppers and terrestrial patterns.
- Tunnels 2 and 5 are really fishing well right now, and the guides have even seen a few huge stocked fish (16-18 inches) in those areas.
- Call the shop (303.215.9386) for daily updates including water flows and temperatures. With low snowpack this year, it’s important to check water temperatures before casting so as not to harm the fish.
- A couple of safety tips: wear boots and wadersto stay dry and always be aware of your surroundings.
Plus, Golden River Sports teams up with Mountain Toad Brewingevery third Wednesday of the month for a fly fishing night where their experienced guides provide instruction on how to tie flies. These fly-tying events are free, open to the public and the flies you tie are yours to keep. No experience is necessary. Guests are welcome to bring tying equipment.
So grab your gear (or snag some at Golden River Sports) and come earn some smiles on Golden’s Golden Mile.